Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lenten thoughts.

We acknowledge our wickedness, O LORD, and the iniquity of our fathers, for we have sinned against You. Do not spurn us, for your name’s sake, do not dishonor your glorious throne; remember and do not break your covenant with us.
--Jeremiah 14:20-21

O Thou terrible Meek,
Let not pride swell my heart,
My nature is the mire beneath my feet, the dust to which I shall return...
Low as I am as a creature, I am lower as a sinner;
I have trampled thy law times without number;
Sin's deformity is stamped upon me, darkens my brow, touches me with corruption.
How can I flaunt myself proudly?
Lowest abasement is my due place, for I am less than nothing before thee.
Help me to see myself in thy sight, then pride must wither, decay, perish.
Humble my heart before thee, and replenish it with thy choicest gifts...
When I am tempted to think highly of myself, grant me to see the wily power of my spiritual enemy;
Help me to stand with wary eye on the watch-tower of faith, and to cling with determined grasp to my humble Lord;
If I fall let me hide myself in my Redeemer's righteousness, and when I escape, may I ascribe all deliverance to thy grace.
Keep me humble, meek, lowly.
--from The Valley of Vision, "Pride," pp. 160-161

No comments: