Monday, May 21, 2007

Hope and struggle.

Having finished my paper and my final exam, I now have time to read "fun books"! My first choice was Dan Allender's The Healing Path, which had been highly recommended to me. He covers so much in the book, but I selected a few quotes regarding hope and the struggle for faith in the face of suffering.

“Pain is seldom expected nor embraced when it comes. It is often denied or swept under the spiritual rug of ‘God’s sovereignty’... Few of us enter the tragedy of living in a fallen world and simultaneously struggle with God until our hearts bleed with hope.” p. 5

“Indeed, God loves us and has a wonderful plan for our lives. But that plan may be to labor for forty years with a recalcitrant, hard-hearted youth group that ages and dies in the wilderness, with only a few who make it into the Promised Land. How could God’s best for Moses be to bring the man to the brink of what he’d worked his whole life to achieve, and then bar him from enjoying it before he died? The fact is, God’s perfect plan might include untold suffering that has no clear purpose or meaning in this life.” p. 13.

“How are we to groan inwardly and also wait expectantly? It seems that when we groan most deeply, we most urgently anticipate resolution for our pain. But we cannot hope unless we learn to wait, and we cannot learn to wait if we have put God on our schedule.” p. 39

“The goal of evil is to destroy our future by stealing our hope.” p. 83

“To be truly human--to feel, to doubt, to struggle, to seek, ask, and knock without having to have an immediate answer or much of an answer at all.” p. 146

“My heart will never become any bigger than that in which or in whom I hope. But when my hope is centered on the coming redemption, I begin to take on His glory.” p. 146

“Bold prayer bombards heaven relentlessly with the cries of our soul.” p. 175

...and my new favorite...

“Hope is not an absence of sorrow but a refusal to allow powerlessness to silence our cry or to shake our confidence in God.” p. 151

2 comments:

glorybeam said...

Thank you for taking time to post all these quotes. My copy of the "The Healing Path" was once littered with post-it notes, and then I took them all out to loan the book to a friend. Wish I had kept those quotes! It was back in 2000 that I read that book; I plan to re-read it, and THIS TIME, I'll write/circle/underline directly in the book!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.